We would like to congratulate all the winners of the second SA Listed Tracker Funds Awards (SALTA) held at the Johannesburg Stock Exchange on 22th May 2019. SALTA showcased the best performing ETFs in South Africa for the period ending 31st March 2019, across a variety of criteria. If you have been wondering what ETFs are a good buy this year, check out the winners of the 2019 SALTA awards below.
To find out more about ETFs and why they are the best to invest in click below:
The awards recognise the leaders in the expanding and flourishing ETF industry for:
- The best total investment returns for 3 and 5 years in various categories.
- The efficiency in tracking the indices which an ETF benchmarks.
- Annual tradability.
- The raising of new and additional capital on the JSE.
- An award for the “favourite ETF” chosen by popular poll.
TOTAL RETURN PERFORMANCE
In this award category, the focus is on total return performance.
Performance was measured for a lump sum investment, on a total return, net asset value basis, with distributions reinvested. There are two periods of assessment – the one-year total return and the three-year total return, all to the end of March 2019.
FOREIGN & COMMODITY - 3 YRS SA EQUITY - 3 YRS SA NON-EQUITY - 3 YRS
FOREIGN & COMMODITY - 5 YRS SA EQUITY - 5 YRS SA NON EQUITY - 5 YEARS
In this award category, ability to raise new capital was recognised – either additional capital for existing ETFs, or new capital for the listing of new ETFs. There are three awards – for South African ETFs, for Foreign and Commodity ETFs, and lastly an award for the ETF issuing house that raised the most net new capital in the 12 months to end March 2019.
ISSUE HOUSE - 1 YR FOREIGN &COMMODITY - 1 YR SOUTH AFRICA - 1 YR
ISSUE HOUSE - 3 YRS FOREIGN 7 COMMODITY - 3 YRS SOUTH AFRICA - 3 YRS
Trading efficiency can be measured by the average ratio of the volume of units traded, over the total units in issue.
This category recognises the efficiency of ETFs to deliver, as close as possible, the performance of their reference index. This is arguably one of the most important metrics by which an index tracker fund should be evaluated. The total return achieved by investing in an ETF over any given period should be as close as possible to the total return of the index over the same period.
The best tracking efficiency measured over three years, in the three asset categories were awarded.
FOREIGN & COMMODITY - 3 YRS SA EQUITY - 3 YRS SA NON - EQUITY 3 YRS
PEOPLES CHOICE ETF - POPULAR VOTE
The total number of type of Awards won by each issuer:
Absa Capital (NewFunds) - Four
- Total Investment Returns over 5 years - SA Equity ETFs: NewFunds S&P GIVI RESI 15 ETF.
- Total Investment Returns over 5 years – SA Non-Equity ETFs: NewFunds GOVI ETF.
- Tracking Efficiency over 3 years – SA Non-Equity ETF: NewFunds MAPPS Growth ETF.
- Most Capital Raised Over 1 Year – Foreign & Commodity ETFs: NewGold Plat ETF.
Satrix Managers (Pty) Ltd - Four
- Total Investment Returns over 3 years – SA Equity ETF: Satrix RESI 10 ETF.
- Most Capital Raised over 1 year – top Issuing House: Satrix Managers (RF) (Pty) Ltd.
- Tracking Efficiency over 3 years: Satrix RESI 10 ETF.
- “People’s Choice” Award for the most Popular ETF: Satrix 40 ETF.
Sygnia Itrix (RF) (Pty) Ltd - Three
- Tracking Efficiency over 3 years – Foreign & Commodity ETFs: Sygnia Itrix MSCI Japan Index ETF
- Most Capital Raised over 3 years – Foreign & Commodity ETFs: Sygnia Itrix MSCI World Index ETF
- Most Capital Raised over 3 years – Issuing House: Sygnia Itrix (RF) (Pty) Ltd.
- Total Investment Returns over 3 years – SA Non-Equity ETFs: CoreShares PrefTrax.
- Tracking Efficiency over 3 years – SA Equity ETFs: CoreShares Top 50.
- Most Capital Raised over 3 years – SA Equity ETFs: CoreShares Top 50.
Standard Bank South Africa Ltd - Two
Standard Bank South Africa Ltd won two SALTA awards.
- Total Investment Returns over 5 years – Foreign & Commodity ETFs: Standard Bank Africa Palladium ETF.
- Total Investment Returns over 3 years – Foreign & Commodity ETFs: Standard Bank Africa Rhodium ETF.
Ashburton Investments -One
- Most Capital Raised over 1 year – SA ETFs: Ashburton Top 40 ETF.
To read more about the SALTA Awards click below: